Saturday, July 25, 2009

Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues

I was so happy (most of the time) during my pregnancy and I was even happier after the delivery of my beautiful, healthy baby boy. I never thought this could happen to me.

When I first gave birth it was called the "baby blues" and no one talked about it. How could I be so irritable, feel so sad and cry most of the time. I had to try to hide my feelings. This could not be normal.

I struggled to camouflage my irritability and sadness. When I cried, I said it was because I was so "happy". This was a very difficult time for me.

I knew of a few other women who had been hospitalized for suffering from the "baby blues". They were labeled as being "crazy". These women should have been happy, something had to be wrong with them. I could never risk being labeled "crazy", I had to keep quiet.

Thank goodness these "baby blues" did subside in about two weeks.

And thank goodness this is now called postpartum depression and considered a normal part of early motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment